Maintaining your commercial roof can be challenging, particularly if you live in an area where severe weather is common. When you notice something wrong with your roofing, it’s important to get it fixed or addressed as quickly as possible. In some cases, you’ll be presented with the option for a roof repair or replacement. Here are some of the things that you should consider when you are weighing your options for repairs or a new roof installation.
What Are the Signs You Might Need Roof Repair or Replacement?
There are many different signs that indicate something is wrong with your commercial roof, and paying attention is critical to avoid permanent damage to your property. Whether you lease or own your building, here are some of the signs that you should be on the lookout for that indicate you might need roof repair or replacement:
- Missing Shingles: Whenever pieces of roofing material are missing, it opens up space for moisture to seep in and penetrate your property. This can lead to leaking and create an environment where mold will thrive, which will lower air quality and can put your employee and customer health at risk.
- Strange Smells or Signs of Mold: Leaks and subtle moisture problems can lead to major mold issues over time. If you smell strange smells or notice other signs of mold, the culprit could be over your head if you can’t find another obvious cause. While repair or partial replacement could be possible in some cases, in other situations total replacement is the best option to keep everyone safe.
- Staining on the Ceiling or Walls: Roof leaks can occur when there are missing shingles or when puddles on the roof allow for rain to sit for extended periods of time and soak through the roofing material. If you notice water stains, you should have a roof inspection performed to determine whether or not you need a roof repair or replacement to keep water out.
Why Does Commercial Roof Damage Occur?
There are many different reasons why commercial roof damage occurs, and some of the most common reasons include:
- No drainage system on the roof, or a drainage system that is broken or clogged
- Flashings that are damaged or missing
- A compromised roofing membrane that allows water to leak into the property instead of redirecting water to the drainage system
- Cracking in the roof
- Storm damage
- Age, as even well-maintained commercial roofing systems will eventually need to be replaced
How Can You Decide Between Repair or Replacement?
It isn’t always easy to decide whether you need roof repair or replacement, and either of them can be a big investment. Working with a professional, like the team at Benchmark Roofers, can give you great insight as to what factors you should consider. Roofing that is fifteen years old or older is likely to fail at some point in the future, so replacing it entirely is a better investment than having repairs made that merely extend the life of the roof a few more weeks or months.
The history of your roof should also be taken into account when you decide between roof repair or replacement. If your roof has had serious repairs in the past, performing more repairs might be a bad investment. This is particularly true when the past repairs were for things like leaking or moisture problems. Patching up water-damaged areas repeatedly will get poor results, especially if you did the repairs on your own. Some businesses stick by a three-strikes policy. If your roof has required major repair more than three times, it’s a good idea to invest in a roof replacement instead of attempting repair again.
Finally, you should consider the benefits of roof replacement. Today’s roofs are designed with leak prevention and energy efficiency in mind. In some cases, opting for roof repair or replacement is not a clear-cut decision, so outside fabrics can sway you. When you have a new roof, you can have the peace of mind that your roof is free from any cracking or damage, your insulation is installed in accordance with modern standards, and your investment will likely last for 15-20 years without the need for replacement. Benchmark Roofers is happy to meet with your team to offer you personalized advice.
Make Your Commercial Roof Last with Benchmark Roofers
Benchmark Roofers is proud to serve homeowners and business owners throughout the state of Maryland in need of high-quality roofing and repairs. Beyond our roof replacement and repair offerings, we can help you cross home improvement projects off your to-do list, including door replacement, gutter replacement, siding replacement, window replacement and roof repair. For a free roof inspection to determine if you need a roof replacement or a consultation to show you the benefits of a new roof, call us today at 443-775-2702 or submit the brief contact form below.